Gmail trying to translate our e-mails when it should not post

Posted on 2017-11-29 by jwage


Recently at OpenSky we migrated our e-mail service provider to Oracle Responsys and since then we’ve had issues with Gmail trying to translate our e-mails from random languages. Over the last month it has tried to translate from the following languages:

  • Finnish
  • Afrikaans
  • Catalan
  • German
  • Hungarian
  • Italian
  • Latvian
  • Norwegian
  • Polish
  • Slovak
  • Vietnamese

We have tried to find someone at gmail support to help but we haven’t had any success. If we did have something in our HTML or e-mail service provider that was making gmail think our emails are in another language, I would think it would be the same language consistently. I’ve seen gmail try to translate the same e-mail to multiple different languages. This feels like a bug in gmail causing false positives.

Here is another Responsys customer that is experiencing the same thing here.

Here is a post on the gmail help forum about the issue

Here is a screenshot of an e-mail coming from one gmail user going to another gmail user. This rules out the problem being anything at all related to our e-mail service provider. I am confident that Gmail language detection is broken:

Here are some screenshots:

Finnish

Afrikaans

Catalan

German

Hungarian

Italian

Latvian

Norwegian

Polish

Slovak

Vietnamese